Pros and Cons of Thoreau's Lifestyle

"There is a certain class of unbelievers who sometimes ask me such questions as if I think that I can live on vegetable good alone; and to strike at the root of the matter at once - for me the foot is faith, - I am accustomed to answer such, that I can live on board nails" (44).


In the chapter "Economy," Thoreau clearly demonstrates the feasibility of living on the basic necessities of life. Without a doubt, everyone can agree that it is possible to live in this way. But what quality of life do you have? What do you gain? What do you give up? How much meaning can you derive from a live at Walden? And finally (we might not yet be able to answer this but should keep it in mind for the second part of our reading), if Thoreau was such an advocate of this lifestyle, why did he go back to society after a mere two years?

0 comments:

Post a Comment